In a world where the threats to our business are constantly evolving, it’s critical that employees know how to protect themselves to protect the organisation. Cyber security awareness training provides an opportunity for employees to learn about today’s most common cyber-attack methods and how they can be avoided.
Cybercriminals are becoming more sophisticated with their attacks nowadays, and businesses with limited or no cybersecurity awareness training programs are at risk. Unless users are cyber-aware and know what they’re doing, even the most advanced security solutions won’t do any good.
The Importance of Cyber Security Awareness Training
One of the most important things businesses can do to protect themselves from cybercrime is to ensure that their employees are aware of the dangers. Cyber security awareness training is not just for IT professionals-it’s for everyone! Educating employees on the dangers of social engineering, spear-phishing, ransomware and more will give them the knowledge they need to keep the organisation safe.
There are many reasons why businesses should provide cyber security awareness training to their employees. Some of the most important reasons are:
- Employees are the first line of defense against cybercrime.
In the chain of security infrastructure, cybercriminals are increasingly targeting users of company networks as weak links. The use of secure web gateways, anti-virus tools, malware scanners, spam quarantines, and other technologies helps protect against a growing range of threats, but technology cannot prevent humans from clicking on the wrong links.
- Employees need to be aware of the dangers of social engineering, spear-phishing, ransomware and malware and how to protect themselves against it.
According to Check Point Research, cyberattacks increased 50% year-over-year, with each organisation facing 925 cyberattacks per week globally. To ensure your employees are aware of those threats, they need to understand the structures to which they can be exposed to a cyber attack. For instance, When it comes to phishing emails, it is important for your employees to be wary of emails or phone calls from unknown persons requesting them to act. These can be requests to provide information or open attachments. They need to be vigilant and consider factors such as if the sender’s email address looks legitimate and if the content of the message is well-written.
To know more about how to protect your organisation from a data breach, click here.
How to Conduct a Successful Cyber Security Awareness Training Program
A successful cyber security awareness training program should include the following:
- An overview of the types of cyber-attacks that are most common
- The consequences of a data breach
- How to protect yourself from social engineering and phishing attacks
- The importance of password security
- How to protect yourself from ransomware
- Tips for avoiding malware and viruses
- The importance of keeping your organisation’s software up-to-date
- What to do if they think they’ve been hacked
- How to report a cybercrime
- Overall Guidelines on how to stay safe online
Considerations for the Design and Delivery of an Effective Cyber Security Awareness Training Program
When designing and delivering a cyber security awareness training program, there are a number of things to consider. The following are some of the most important considerations:
- The content of the program should be relevant to the employees’ roles and responsibilities.
- The program should be interactive, engaging and interesting.
- The content should be easy to understand.
- The program should be tailored to the needs of the organisation.
- The program should be updated regularly to reflect the latest threats.
- The program should be delivered in a variety of formats, including online, offline and in-person.
Know your Organisation’s vulnerabilities
In addition to design your cyber security awareness training, consider your different business areas, project teams, and data vulnerabilities. Does the material they use have a high degree of confidentiality, and how is it used by employees? Online services may be commonly used in your company for sharing material, sending large files, translating information into local languages, or hosting meetings, for instance. It is important to remember that these services can put your information at risk.
Understanding the terms and conditions of any online service your employees use is essential.
When using a free online translation service, sensitive information may be released to hackers. Among the possible effects is information that could adversely affect stock prices, threaten joint ventures, compromise confidential information, or cause a data breach.
Cybersecurity Awareness Training Is Essential For Cyber Resilience
It takes staff, time, effort, commitment, and financial investment to manage an effective cybersecurity awareness program. However, the benefits outweigh all the disadvantages. In addition to increasing awareness, you reduce your exposure to threats, minimize downtime, maintain compliance, and increase customer, supplier, and stakeholder confidence.
It is also less expensive to invest in cybersecurity awareness training than to remediate just one data breach: ask any organisation that has been compromised.
We give clarity and simple steps to help you create a effective cyber security programs. Book a free consultation today!